Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Reading for the Fun of It

We get it.  Teens have so much on their plates during the school year that any reading they manage to do usually has to be the required kind. 

Dickens, Faulkner, Shakespeare, these authors are in the essential classics category for a reason.  But don't forget about the hundreds of fabulous YA Lit novels written every year for modern teens like you. 

I'll be honest and say that I wasn't really even aware of YA Lit when I was in high school.  I spent so much time trying to keep up with the books assigned to me by my teachers, that reading wasn't all that fun anymore and I certainly wasn't looking for anything else to read.

Now looking back, I feel like I missed out--BIG time.  So many YA Lit books out right now fall easily into the categories of can't bear to stop reading, all I can think about all day is going home to finish it books; and the I feel a little different about myself and the world around me after reading it books.  Lots of them are both.  Even though I didn't find YA Lit until shortly after I crossed into "real adulthood", I still credit it for making me love to read again!

The good news is that winter break is coming, which will give many of you more time to actually read for the fun of it.  Take advantage of it!  Check out our holiday library hours here

Not sure what you want to read?  Check out these resources for book reviews written by and for teens:
Or, just ask someone (like a librarian).  If you must know, I am currently in a major dystopian phase.   I am in the middle of reading two different trilogies, and they are consuming my life!  (In a totally enjoyable way)

What I am reading now:
Book # 2 of the Matched trilogy by Allie Condie
Book #2 of the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment